Re: [aroid-l] Colocasia 'Black Runner' original source

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Colocasia 'Black Runner' original source
  • From: "Susan T. Staiger" ststaiger@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:18:14 -0400

Hi Petra,

You may not remember me ,but as an original member of IAS I've encountered you at many annual dinners. Unfortunately ,I was unable to attend this year because of a bad cold and I am not as active in aroid activities as I once was. Watching everything go down during Andrew convinced me that,after thirty-some years of intense plant mania,which included orchids,bromeliads,etc.etc.as well as aroids ,it was time to relax and accept nature as the final authority. I love what has survived and am thrilled with some of the surprises that pop up from time to time,esp.during the summer... although some don't make it through the dry season due to my neglect and the lack of a reliable irrigation system.

The 'Black Runner' source may have been Marilyn Johnson whom you have probably met in the past.She brought back many new and wonderful plants from her annual collecting trips. She is a superb grower and used to be a vendor at the aroid show among others. I haven't seen her recently but that's because I don't go to many plant related meetings,not because she's not still growing,I'm sure. She is in the old yellow roster of 1998.

Marilyn Johnson
7002 SW 149 Terrace
Miami,FL 33158-2151
305-235-6009

I'm sorry to have missed your extravaganza. It sounds like it was a truly successful event.

Susan