Re: [aroid-l] Anchomanes

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Anchomanes
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 13:15:44 +1000

At 07:52  3/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I just received my seeds from Wilbert(Thank You, Thank You) and wanted to
>ask one question. Should they be treated like Amorph seeds? I planted the
>entire berry lat time and wondered if I should have removed them from the
>berry. I don't think this has been a topic before. I searched all of my
>notes and turned up nothing. I do know they are sometimes slow to germinate.

Harry,

In Wilbert's email on this a while ago, he included some germination
suggestions.  I've put these in below for people in case they didn't save
the original message.  It doesn't answer your query about the berry or just
the seed explicitly, but I would read it myself as the seed rather than the
berry.  From memory some pulp actually has germination inhibitors within it
which are usually stripped off by the intestinal tract of the bird who eats
the bright coloured berries.  Am I correct Wilbert?

******** Wilbert's Information *************

As to germination, I have better data now than the first time: sow the seeds
upon arrival in a sandy mixture (about 1 cm under the surface) and keep it
moderately moist (this is a species of dry soils). The first shoots here
came up about 2 - 3 months after sowing, so a little patience is in order.
You may want to carefully check the seeds every two weeks because they are
susceptible do rot and bad ones better be separated from the good ones
whenever possible. A long root is developed first before the shoot appears.

I hope this is of some help to people.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!