Re: [aroid-l] Anchomanes

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Anchomanes
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:05:54 +0200

I myself have sown them without the berry itself. There are contradictory
rumours about this. Some say that the berry flesh contains germination
inhibitors. Others say it contains natural fungicides. I know, this doesn't
help but to answer Paul, I am really not aware of scientific papers dealing
with this. Is there somebody on this list that may provide references to
this item?

I have sown Amorphs with and without berry flesh and never noticed any
relevant difference. The one fear I would have is that when the flesh rots
and we're talking large seeds with big embryos or lots of endosperm, rotting
is likely to be a danger. Therefore I removed the flesh of the Anchomanes
seeds. But it is all a bit conjectural.

Glad to hear, though, that the seeds seem to be arriving.