Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus FAQ part 3

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus FAQ part 3
  • From: ". ." iamwhatiam52@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 00:54:57 -0400

About growing A. konjac in the house, here is my experience.

I've grown a few itsy bitsy (less than1/2") bulbs on my table by the computer in poor light for 2 years, leaving them in the 2" pots while they go dormant. They grow, but are a bit thin, and do multiply. They are now 16" tall. Interestingly, they seem to come up late, but go dormant about the same time as the outdoor plants.

I also tried some larger ones inside because they look so damn cool blasting up out of the soil in spring. They came up a month earlier than the outdoor plants. They were then put outdoors and seemed OK untill August, when they all burned out and went dormant. Sadly, no offsets or increase in size. I'm going to try a large one next spring and leave it inside.