[aroid-l] Virus discussions

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Virus discussions
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@arachne.uark.edu
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:19:59 -0500 (CDT)

My observation is that a discussion about a virus is almost a virus
itself, in that it tends to propagate from list to list and monopolize
discussion for some period of time. And, like the vira themselves, much of
the discussion is the same each time. (I admit to being more cynical about
vira than the average computer user; occupational hazard.)

I don't want to stifle dissemination of useful information to the list,
while at the same time not wanting the discussion to continue indefinitely
or degenerate as is has on a couple of other lists I'm on into comparisons
of virus scanners or telling virus tales (and in one case, worse).

Posting the warning after Julius' machine was infected seemed appropriate,
as it was likely that many of us on this list would be targets as it tried
to spread. And there have been several helpful follow-up notes which
provided useful information about that virus or vira in general. No
complaints about these at all. Vira cross all lists and affect a lot of
people - it seems counter to the best interest of aroiders at large to
never have any virus related postings.

I'd just ask that everyone be aware as they post on this topic and try to
make the posts good ones. (None of you can see that no fingers are being
pointed here, but trust me, no fingers are being pointed.)

May you all live by the 3 (maybe 4) rules of not getting infected, and
compute virus-free.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu