Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights
  • From: "Randy Story" story@caltech.edu
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:55:02 -0700

There was actually a story in the L.A. Times a year or two ago about a woman
who was arrested when the police saw her Dizygotheca, aka "False Aralia"
plant and thought it was marijuana.  It seems they were investigating some
minor complaint, but when they saw the plant they brought her in.  They
quickly let her go when they figured out their mistake.  However, when she
later applied for her green card, they asked on one of the forms if she had
ever been arrested.  She said no, since the plant incident was obviously a
dumb mistake.  However, when the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service
for non-Americans) found out that she "lied" on her application form, they
deported her.  This was an article in a Times article about how the INS has
basically unlimited powers to deport non-citizens.

My mom has had this plant outside her front door for probably 20 years now.
She occasionally gets an interesting reaction.