Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights
  • From: "Randy Story" story@caltech.edu
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:58:17 -0700

Hermine,

At least some things are indeed unconstitutional--I forgot about this one!
The Supreme Court ruled last year in Kyllo vs. United States that it is
illegal to use a thermal imaging device to look inside one's home for signs
of HID lights.  In the case in question, Kyllo was growing marijuana inside
and DEA agents used the thermal imaging results to obtain a search warrant.
A divided court ruled that it was an unlawful search and the 5-4 split
represented one of the more unusual combinations of justices.  See
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=
/us/000/99%2D8508.html

Randy