[aroid-l] Arum purpureospathum & dioscoridis hardiness

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Arum purpureospathum & dioscoridis hardiness
  • From: James Waddick jwaddick@kc.rr.com
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:10:06 -0600

Dear MArge;
No one else has replied so I'll try. I have grown various forms of dioscoridis here off and on for a while including much colder winters and have it in the ground now. The trick (as always in heavy limey clay) is good drainage- raised bed, hillside drainage, added drianage stuff-sand gravel etc. etc.
Mixed on purpureospathum. I have it in pots in both a cold frame and cool-frost free greenhouse and it is easy, but have yet to give it full sway outdoors except perhaps by accident.

In Zone 7 you should have little or no trouble, but watch drainage always.
Oh- Full sun or mostly so. Should be easy and worth trying a least a few of your babies if not all. Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.
Kansas City Missouri 64152-2711
Ph. 816-746-1949