[aroid-l] Arum purpureospathum & dioscoridis hardiness

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Arum purpureospathum & dioscoridis hardiness
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:33:15 -0500

I have Arum purpureospathum  and A. dioscoridis, grown from seed,
living in pots.

I would like to plant these guys in the ground rather than keep them
in the greenhouse, but am a tad nervous, despite the hardy aroid list
saying that they are being grown in z 4, Ithaca NY and z 5b, Kansas
City, MO, respectively.  Ellen Hornig's catalog says A. dioscoridis
is z 8 and every other web resource is saying 7b-8 or warmer for both
of them.

I really don't want to lose these children if I can avoid it.

Would appreciate hearing from any of you who grow these in the ground
in z 7a or 6b with success and what kind of conditions you're growing
them in - sun/shade/drainage - and what kind (if any) protection
you're giving them.

Thanks!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Wild, Wonderful Aroids Part Two - Elephant Ears,
Alocasia, Colocasia &  Xanthosoma
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635