From: Lester Kallus [mailto:lkallus@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 6:01 PM
To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
Subject: [aroid-l] hibernation time

Nights here on Long Island are beginning to dip down into the 40s.  I
understand that this coming Thursday night, it will be somewhere between 42
and 44.  I know that Amorphophallus konjac & bulbifer will decide for
themselves when to go dormant and so I'm not worried.

I have some paeoniifolius in the ground.  They're still looking good.  I see
three choices:

1.  Wait until they begin to show signs of dormancy and then pull them up
2.  Dig them up and let them spend sometime in the greenhouse until they go
dormant
3.  Dig them up, slice the top off, wash the soil off and force dormancy

Any thoughts?  I'd prefer to avoid the greenhouse time if possible - it's
going to be very crowded in there.

       Les