Re: [aroid-l] Epipremnum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Epipremnum
  • From: "Clarence Hammer" chammer@cfl.rr.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:12:34 -0400

Hi Leslie.  Epipremnum pinnatum and falcifolium are 2 different Aroids than
Pothos.  E. pinnatum leaves in mature stage is big, all green, with deep
splits to the midrib, and tiny 'holes' along the midrib.  I've never had a
falcifolium, but it's also a different looking plant.  Pothos has gone thru
seemingly countless name
changes, not sure exactly where it ended.  According to Graf's Tropica,
Birdsey changed it from Scindapsus to Raphidophora in 1962.  Then Bunting
changed it from Raphidiophora to Epipremnum in 1964.  That's pretty old
info, I'll have to see if I can
find any more recent.

 I imagine the wild form is all green.   I noticed today that your all
yellow form shines in the shadehouse like a beacon in the dark among all the
green Philos, brilliant and beautiful.  Of the yellow variegated forms, I
like the one I see occasionally that has a predominance of  variegation,
even the stems are yellow.  Seems to be a more intensely colored clone than
the usual variegated Pothos.

I like the white variegated 'Marble Queen', but it seems slower to me, and
more likely
to revert to all green.  I don't think I've ever seen this growing up palms
and oaks
here in Florida with huge 2 foot leaves and split edges like you see yellow
variegated Pothos.  There are some magnificent Pothos growing higher than
I've ever seen
on pine trees at Dr Frank Brown's (of Aglaonema fame) big garden at Valkaria

I'm glad to have a piece of your 30 year old green Pothos Leslie, I like
plants with some personal history.