Re: [aroid-l] Epipremnum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Epipremnum
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:18:37 -0500

Peter, a very loud and enthusiastic 'YES' to something on Epipremnum for
Aroideana.  I am hoping that I can get Volume 27 put together in late
spring so that, with the usual delays, the issue may be out in time for
the show and sale in the fall. (Note to anyone panicking at seeing that
number - Volume 26 is teetering on the edge of being ready - proofs are
out, and I will stay on top of corrections - what I am doing here is
soliciting for next year to anyone who feels inclined ...)

Could you clear something for us now? Are the cultivars "Jade" and
'Marble Queen" a part of Epipremnum aureum? My impression in growing
them, as has come out before in these discussions, is that they have a
"feel" to them that suggests that they are not. (Excuse me for getting
technical!) They do seem to flip-flop from green to white variegation
and back - or perhaps it is more that Marble Queen often goes green, but
Jade rarely goes variegated.

Jade couldn't work for E. aureum, of course, if Jade and Marble Queen
are distinct from E. aureum. If the Jade/Marble Queen pair are out of
the running, do we even have a green plant that has come from E. aureum
(green or variegated), in the trade as a selection - a requirement if it
is to have a cultivar name? As you well know,you can't go popping a
cultivar(CULTIvated VARiety)name on a plant in the wild. The definition
is quite strict.

One more point(repeating what has been said in previous discussions),
our green ones in Florida don't appear to bloom any more often than the
gold, for whatever reason.

The business of having the name attached to a 'weird' form, commonly
grown in the trade, while a more normal creature exists in the wild is
not unique to this case. If I remember correctly, there is a
Clerodendrum whose diagnosis was based on double-flowered material, with
a single form now known from the wild. And something similar came up
with Erythrina variegata, but I have not dug out details on that
recently. There must be many more.

Well, yes, all very suitable for Aroideana, I think. I will watch my
mail.

Best wishes,  Derek