Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus vulgaris size & coloring Q's

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus vulgaris size & coloring Q's
  • From: "C. J. Addington" cjaddington@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:16:57 -0800

on 10/29/03 21:00, danny wilson at mudwasp_@hotmail.com wrote:

Hey everyone!
Alright, ive been growing D. vulgaris for a year or so now.  After looking
at literally hundreds of pictures of them i madesome observations on mine
and wondered:  In most pictured ive seen the leaves have white veins, mine
dont, anyone know why?
Exactly how big do these guys get?  Ive heard everything from 2 feet to 6
feet.  For the whole plant i mean, not just the flower.
Does anyone know where i can get a white form tuber/seed(s)?  Any info would
be awsome.
Thanks again everyone and have a great day/evening!
P.S.  Does anyone have an extremely large/old tuber of D. vulgaris they want
to get rid of?  I would be very interested in taking it off your hands :)

Hi Danny and Everyone!
   Dracunculus plants, like many aroids, are highly variable when it comes
to both height and leaf patterning. Within my own collection, I have plants
with prominent white chevron patterns all over the leaves, as well as plants
with no trace of white at all, just a flat green. Their final height also
varies widely. Some will bloom on a short, stubby stalk no more than a
couple of feet tall, while others tower up as high as a grown man (mine are
usually in the 3 foot range). Sometimes the bloom stands very erect and
upright, more often it reflexes back and lies nearly horizontal. Sometimes
the bloom is darkly purplish-red, other times it's a rosy pink color, or
more rarely closer to a dusky tinged white. I have one particular clone that
doesn't even make a spathe when it blooms, just a naked spadix with a tiny
ring of wrinkled purple flesh at its base. ( I'm tempted to name it "Lady
Godiva" or something else equally ridiculous and sell it for big bucks to
other Drac-freaks!)
   Basically, this is a wide-spread species with a lot of genetic
variability, and many different forms. The fact that people grow it under
many different conditions ( sunny vs. shade, acid soil vs. alkaline, etc.)
probably enhances its natural variability as well. Overall, they all smell
horrific, and are all great fun to grow. These are one of my favorite winter
plants, and I am currently growing way too many of the things. One year they
will all bloom simultaneously, and my neighbors will force me to reconsider
just how many Dragon Arums a yard really needs! Until then I keep planting
and nurturing my stinky kids.
   Have fun with them!

CJ Addington
Citrus Heights, CA