Re: [Aroid-l] viruses in Amorphophallus

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] viruses in Amorphophallus
  • From: Ron Kaufmann <kaufmann@sandiego.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:53:13 -0700

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure who does virus testing on aroids, but Critter Creek Laboratory (crittercreeklab@earthlink.net) does virus testing on orchids. They don't require a whole tuber - just some leaf material.

Ron

Bryan Lampl wrote:

Earlier this year I acquired an Amorphophallus albus and when it opened up I
immediately recognized that the coloration of the leaves were not consistant
and contained lightened patches throughout. I decided that there could be
the possibility of the plant containing a virus. I have kept it seperate
from my other plants to be safe. The plant went dormant after I returned
from the aroid show and now I am hoping to determine if this is a
contaminated tuber. Is there anyone that could inform me on how one would
test for viral infections in tubers or direct me to a person or facility
that could do the procedure. The tuber did offset so I can easily offer one
for disection and testing. I would prefer not to be overcautious and
destroy a healthy tuber. Thanks for your assistance.