Re: [Aroid-l] greenhouse questions

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] greenhouse questions
  • From: "Leo A. Martin" <leo1010@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:34:04 -0600

> (What am I going to do with 2 Balsa tree saplings grown from seed in my

"Bonsai" them. Succulent growers have learned to grow all sorts of trees and things with fat trunks in pots with extremely heavy fall pruning. I think balsa is in the Bombacaceae family, and these respond very well to hard pruning and limited root room. I know people who grow Bombax, Ceiba, and Chorisia this way in cold-winter climates. Bonsai is in quotes because most succulent enthusiasts neither know nor follow true bonsai pruning and shaping standards.

Dig them up now and prune very hard - to perhaps 10 inches above ground or less. Fit the plant into a 10" or smaller pot. Overwinter cool and almost bone-dry, just enough water to prevent shriveling.

Next spring when it warms up, put it someplace warm, and water in 10 days. Wait to water again until green nubs show. If it doesn't leaf out after the first watering, wait until it's warmer. Grow outside during the summer. As it cools down, hack back very hard, leaving just the basics of a branch structure.

As the years pass the trunk will thicken tremendously.

Contact the people at the Cactus and Succulent Society of New Jersey for more information.

Founded 1959
# Members: 34
Meeting Info: Fairleigh Dickinson U/Madison Campus, TB18, Madison, NJ, 4th Sun, 2:30p.

I won't post personal contact information here, but you can get it if you go to the site of the parent organization, the Cactus and Succulent Society of America

and click on Local Clubs in the menu at the top.

Leo A. Martin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Like cactus and succulents?
Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society
Aroid-l mailing list