[Aroid-l] Re-post: Aroids for patio

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re-post: Aroids for patio
  • From: Roz <rozgold@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:17:29 -0700

Hi folks!

When I first posted this message, I got no responses, but it was in the
middle of the hurricane craziness in Florida, so I thought I'd try
again.  As always, suggestions and recommendations are greatly

I am a very novice aroid grower, and I don't have a lot of space, so I
do a lot of growing in containers on a patio outside my apartment.  I
would like to expand my collection, but I have some challenging growing
conditions.  I live in Los Angeles, and my patio receives very strong
direct morning sun. Unfortunately, because of the position of
surrounding apartment buildings, by
early afternoon, the patio is almost completely in shade.  As a result,
in winter and much of spring, the patio doesn't get too many hours of
light. This has been a real problem in spring for me growing anything
that requires a lot of hours of light to get going.

So I'd love to find some aroids that meet the following growing

--can handle strong direct summer sun, but don't need lots of hours of
sun in the spring;
--are relatively compact - can be happy in 14" - 16" container, at the
--have interesting spathes or inflorescences; and
--are not high maintenance.

I don't mind if the plant gets a bit floppy - virtually everything I
grow on the patio needs more light that I can give it, but the plants do
OK, even if they aren't in optimal shape.  FYI, I've successfully grown
hybrid tea roses in containers on the patio, lots of herbs such as
oregano and basil, and nematanthus.

I'm in zone 9, and Sunset Magazine Zone 23.

-Roz, in Southern California

Aroid-l mailing list