[Aroid-l] viruses in Amorphophallus

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] viruses in Amorphophallus
  • From: Bryan Lampl <blampl1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:50:39 -0400

I unfortunately was informed yesterday that my Amorphophallus albus is
infected with something similar to the Dasheen mosaic virus. I have
destroyed the tuber and its offsets, but would like some imput on the
potential contamination to other plants. Should I quarantine all plants that
were grown in the vicinity of the invected plant? What about a treatment
program? All of my plants are grown in seperate containers and when each one
goes dormant they are uprooted and the soil is discarded. I also treat each
tuber with a bactericide/fungicide before putting them away for the winter.
I store each tuber repotted in a dry soil mix in which they will be kept
until the spring when they will be reintroduced to moisture and the sun
(there are a few exceptions to this, those which require moisture while
dormant).  My main concern now is to be able to eliminate any potential
spread of this virus.  I have collected a number of Amorphophallus species
this year and I would hate to have to cull plants due to this unfortunate
problem. Thanks for your help.