[Aroid-l] Re: Commercial culture of Alo's and Calo's

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Commercial culture of Alo's and Calo's
  • From: Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 05:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

  Good morning,
  My name is Mr. Kyle Fletcher-Baker, MCN
and I work for a Perennial Nursery here in Maine zone
5. we purchased some aroids for spring summer sales
containers and all are doing fairly well although  I
Have some questions on Alocasia x amazonica  and two
types of Calocasias(Black Majic and Chicago Harlequin)
All three came as plugs fromn www.agristarts.com  in
Apopka Florida and I'll be calling them shortly but am
doing cross referencing as I've learned to do
Have the Soil down using a Promix with biofungicide in
it

got the watering down - although i've had to explain
to the owner that He and I should be the only ones
watering these houses

Fertilizing is set - 1x monthly for amazonica and for
now the same for the calo's

we started them in 21 deep plug(root tutors) and then
I placed them in 200's (around 8" deep pot 6" across)
and I've got multiple shoots on Calo's and roots
showing at the bottom...so far so good

now for the questions....

Water pH - our water runs around 9.2 from the
irrigation pond and with sulphuric acid / fertilizer
it can be dropped to 7.6(see below)

is there an optimum pH level?

FERTILIZER RATIOS FOR PLAINVIEW FARM 2005

FERTILIZER 	10 GALíS  	20 GALS

EXCEL 21-5-20	4.8#(5)	           10#

EXCEL 15-0-0	2.8#(3)             6#

EXCEL MAG-NITRATE 2.8#(3)	    6#

*GH6 PLUG TRAYS

TO A CONTAINER OF THE ABOVE ADD THE FOLLOWING

ADD 2 CUPS (TO THE MARK) - 2.5 oz

EXCEL 13-2-13

FED AT 200PPM via Dosatron

Any further ideas on Fertilizer? whats a good ratio?
schedule?

Temperatures? what is the lowest temp Alo. amazonica
can take as I just moved the 42 survivors to a warmer
house where it shan't get below 50 (our Seed growing
house)

Th'x for any and all information that you may have and
i'll post with result of what I hear from agristart

kfb - maine zone 5