RE: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma atrovirens info.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma atrovirens info.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:40:37 +0000

From : 	<Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
Sent : Monday, October 10, 2005 11:02 PM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : RE: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma? Please help to ID

Dear Tom, Eduardo and all Friends,

Here in Florida X. atrovirens is sold VERY seasonally in my 'contact' groceries, it is sold as 'Malanga amarilla' or 'Yautia amarilla', and is very popular w/ folks from the Dominican Republic. It has a dark/blackish-skinned HAIRY (roots) rhizome, usually the same thickness throughout, usually short and relatively thick, it is cut flush at the growing side, 'healed' at the bottom, looks more like a Colocasia rhizome, and is quite unlike the other flask-shaped rhizomes ("chubas"!!! :--)>) of the other Xanthosoma sps. commonly sold here in S. Florida. As Eduardo said, it has a strikingly colored orange/yellow flesh, and this has a corky, lighter colored layer about 1/8" thick between the orange flesh just under the black skin. The flavor when cooked is like a mixture of peanuts and corn flour. The plant grows with the blade`s sinus full to the joint, very unlike other Xanthosoma sps. I have grown and seen. The last I grew had a silvered 'sheen' to its leaves, VERY attractive.
I`ll ask my Cuban/Dom. Rep. friends here where it is commonly grown, if I had to guess, I`d say it is commoner in the Dom. Republic. We did NOT have it in Trinidad, and my Cen. American friends do not know it.
Before I forget, Deni Bown refers to this yellow fleshed one as X. atrovirens, but she also calls the Xanthosomas, one w/ the var. colored 'deformed' leaves w/ the 'cups' on the leaf-tips, AND the all-green w/ the little "labias" on the underside of the leaf blades, X. atrovirens, I do not believe this is correct.
Hope this helps!

Dear Eduardo:
Do Xanthosoma atrovirens and X. sagittifolium have the same blade with the posterior rib not at all naked? Where is X. atrovirens native?