Re: [Aroid-l] help for novice

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] help for novice
  • From: bonaventure@optonline.net
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:15:22 -0400

Thanks Ken,
Outside now it is about 60F and has been raining much, on and off, for 4-5 days now. No ill effects on the 7 stalks in their converted pickle tub full of 1 part Pro-mix : 1 part coarse perlite. I am watching very closely. I allow the tuber to dry off completely with all soil removed before hanging it in the shopping bag, and check it at least monthly by completely removing it. So far no excess moisture had formed between the tuber skin and the plastic bag.

Mossambicencis(swynnertonii) just down was emergency unpotted from this same kind of mix but was found to be fine with a large tuber and a medusa-like 7 zigzagging stolon-offsets (reply privately to bonaventure@optonline.net for offsets).

Konjac, yunnanensis, dunnii, and bulbifer in the garden started to collapse before the rains started and ended our long late summer drought here in New Jersey, but I've learned from bad experience that I will have to dig up the bulbifer before winter. Konjac and yunnanensis have bloomed in spring in the garden just before their leaves come up in early summer.

Lewelii and, new this year henryi and corrugatus, are in smaller pots, sitting on the soil under the great paeoniifolius leaves and are being watched closely also for the relative chill affecting their leaves, but so far so good. Plus, I'll have to take the whole pot in as a unit because their roots grew through the drainage holes into the soil of the paeoniifolius pot. These will be stored dry in their respective pots due to the smaller tuber sizes. Only Synandrospadix vermitoxus I have lost to rot resting in a pot of loose dust-dry medium.

Bonaventure