Re: [Aroid-l] help for novice

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] help for novice
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 13:28:48 -0400

Bonaventure,

I think you're lucky not to have dead Am. paeoniifolius!

Many of us in the northern climates, NJ certainly included, have had persistent and very serious rot problems with paeoniifolius tubers when they are allowed to be cold and wet at the same time.

I would absolutely never allow mine to stay outdoors or receive any water once nighttime temps drop below 60 (at the coldest). Last year ago I lost every single paeoniifolius except one because of cold/wet conditions. At the time I had little option since my greenhouse wasn't covered until November, but this year the watering of my new ones is being closely controlled as end-of-season approaches. And they've been in the greenhouse all season. The more experience I gain growing in CT the more I find that only a few are suited for outdoor growing this far north.

One more mention about plastic bags and amorphs: don't do it! I don't care if they're open or not. The only plastic I'd ever *consider* would be an onion bag - the mesh kind. I keep all mine only in paper bags.

-Ken Mosher

bonaventure@optonline.net wrote:
I drag mine inside just before night temps go in the 30's, cram it into a corner of the living room, stop watering, and wait 2 months for the leaves to die down. Then I wait another 2 months to allow the rest of the soil to dry out, after which I unpot, check the tuber(s), and then hang them in an open plastic shopping bag from a nail on my basement ceiling rafters until I see shoots poking out in late May/ early June.

Bonaventure Magrys
Cliffwood Beach, NJ
zone 7