To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] More pics

Hi Wilbert,
I have a basic question for you. I was at the IAS show at Fairchild Gardens
and purchased a couple of those unnamed Thai very long tubers. I either
must plant them in a very large pot to get them below the soil level or
place them in a pot at a steep angle. The growing tip is at the large end.
Do you know what the species is? What is the best method to plant these
very long tubers? Thanks for your time!! Ron Kessler PS: Please keep me on
your list.

I have several species of Amorphophallus that have very thin and very, very
long tubers. The best potting solution I have found is to make your own pots.
You can buy 4 inch diameter PVC pipe from a home supply store such
as Home Depot and cut it into whatever lengths you need and then put
some kind of screening on the bottom.

This spring I had a tuber that was 1/2 inch wide and 30 inches long. I potted
it up in a 40 inch tall "home-made" pot. When I unpotted it last weekend,
3 inches of the new tuber had come out of the bottom of the pot, so now the
tuber is almost 40 inches long, but still only 1/2 inch wide.

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list