Re: [Aroid-l] deep pots for Amorphophallus

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] deep pots for Amorphophallus
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:48:22 -0700

Ron,

John is (as always) absolutely correct!

I first witnessed and learned of this "pipe technique" from Alan some years
ago at the IAS Summer Extravaganza, which Mr. Galloway so kindly co- hosted.
My own first attempts with this approach resulted in rotted out terminal ends or
if I was lucky, just the necrotic blotches which John mentioned. It only took me
one season to yet again re-learn the axiom stating 'every grower confronts their
own unique conditions'... Whereas Alan was apparently having great success
with his particular combination of media/ climate/ watering for growing Amorphos
inside odd and sundry lengths of pipe, I was clearly not getting the same results.

My current approach is to start with 4" ABS sch. 40 (black) drain pipe. I cut
it to the lengths I need and at the bottom glue on a lg. square or rectangular
drain grate (or emitter) fitting. This provides stability and allows for plenty of
bottom drainage. Then- I drill a pattern of /12" to 3/4" holes along the sides
of the pipe itself. I find that my media, once evenly wetted, does not spill out
too much so I don't bother screening- but it's easy enough to cut a piece of
fiberglass window screen to whatever dimensions you may need and lay it
inside the pipe prior to filling. I also no longer over-pot my amorpho tubers like
I used to do. I've found that growing a tighter pot coupled with regular, careful
watering and feeding results in better growth without incurring the risk of rot.

Best of luck and I hope this may have been of some help,
-Dan