Re: Amorphophallus species Northern Madagascar ID?

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus species Northern Madagascar ID?
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@xs4all.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:14:31 +0200

Hi Larry and others,

>From several directions I've had this question privately and I have seen
several pictures. I think there is a good chance this is an undescribed
species but I'll have to make my mind up first, after I've seen either fresh
or pickled material. The species group with the inclusion of taurostigma and
erythrorrhachis seems to be in a diversification flux in northern
madagascar. The species from Kalabenono has also been found on the island of
Nosy Mitsio. In fact this is the first time I see a Madagascan species get
morphologically close to the legendary Am. hildebrandtii from the island of
Nosy Be (never been seen in full flesh since an accidental sighting in
1980).

Cheerio,
Wilbert