ZZ plant--ONE species

  • Subject: ZZ plant--ONE species
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:32:41 +0000

>From : 	ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
Sent : 	Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:46 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Two species of Zamioculcas?

Dear Adam, Steve, and all Aroidophyles,

'Tropicos" was quoted by Steve as a source which states that there are three
species of Zamioculcas.  Tropicos, for some reason, continues to carry some
outdated and incorrect information on plants, and appears to be in dire need
of being updated.  Volunteers???
The genus East African Zamioculcas, as presently understood, consists of
just ONE widespread but variable species, Zamioculcas zamifolia (Loddiges)
This may be confirmed by reading the two most recent works on the genus, Pg.
149 of "The Genera of Araceae" by S.J. Mayo, J. Bogner, and P.C. Boyce, and
a recent update in "Aroideana", Vol 28, 2005, pg. 3, by Josef Bogner.   You
may note that in the article in Aroideana, figs. 4-6, pg. 7, Josef notes
that Z. "lancifolia" is a synonym of Z. zamioculcas.
My hope is that this note will clear up any remaining questions or doubt
that may be floating around 'out there' in aroid-land concerning this
now-common ''Interior Landscaping" plant.

Good Growing!!

Julius Boos,

    >>There are two forms of Zamioculcas floating around - the now
    form labeled as Z. zamiifolia or "ZZ plant" and another type that seemed
    to pop up from time to time before the mass-produced form apparently
    drowned it out in the marketplace. I was wondering if anyone has looked
    into whether the less common version is possibly a seperate species,
    regional variant, or what?

    I have both forms in my office, so I end up staring at them when on the
    phone, day dreaming, etc and notice the many differences between them.
    Both plants are about the same size, potted in the same mix, and receive
    the same amount of light and water (they are kept right next to each
    other). Here are the differences I have noticed in my plants:

    The uncommon type has half the amount of leaflets than the common form,
    and they are spaced much further apart (the common type has leaflets so
    close together they appear to overlap). The leaflets on the uncommon
    form are also twice as long and noticably  oblanceolate (broadest point
    towards the tip), while the common form is shorter and more elliptical
    (broadest in the middle). The margin is also slightly wavy in the
    uncommon form. The geniculum is also positioned lower on the uncommon
    form, while the common form has a geniculum much closer to the lower set
    of leaflets. The shape of petiole between the geniculum and the soil
    line also is noticably different. In the common form the petiole
    thickens below the geniculum to its widest point but then abruptly
    tapers back down just above the soil line. In the uncommon form the
    petiole broadens below the geniculum very gradually to a point just
    above the soil line, at which point it then abruptly broadens even more
    to its widest point at the soil line (almost like a pony-tail palm -
    Beaucarnea/Nolinia sp). I have not had either of them flower yet so I
    haven't compared their inflorescensces.

    Any ideas? Can anybody else growing the two forms confirm my
    observations with their plants?

    Adam Black<<

    Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list