IAS Miami Show and more

  • Subject: IAS Miami Show and more
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:56:27 -0400

I have just been listening on this conversation. I personally love the
show in Miami and would hate for anything to really disturb it from
happening. Though I remember a few years ago after that show many of us
drove up to Plant Delights aroid open house. I am not sure if it was a
planned or voted on thing with the aroid society though many of us went.
Their was a auction plants for-sale and of course food. I believe Tony
put a lot of hardy work into it and it seemed to work very well. I don't
believe it disturbed any of the aroid societies sales that or the
following year and it was interesting to see people looking at other
plants specially the southern growers trying to figure out what Hostas
and other winter hardy plants were. I believe Alan Galloway had a open
house as well and his collection and yard was on display. It seemed to
work out very well and smoothly. Not to mention is was a bit closer to
home for some of us.

  I believe if someone was wanting to have a small aroid type show.
Timing it around the aroid show in Miami would help. Either keeping it
months away or right after the Miami show when people are already
traveling. Offering unusual plants at low prices may help bring in more
people. I would find it hard to rent out a place or have a show were
people bring in a lot of plants to sell. The best bet at least for now
would likely be a open house or a few open houses from either people
with interesting collections or nurseries with a good selection. This
may just be a stepping stone onto larger things in the future but I
think it is were it would have to start. Another idea I have been
thinking about maybe to add in a few other groups to bring in more
people. Cannas, Bananas, Gingers or others these poor groups have no
society that I know of and many people grow and collect these plants.
Adding them into a show like this would bring in more interest. Not to
mention maybe turn more people on to aroids.   I think trying to move
forward is always a good thing and we should not try to shoot it down
before it is given a chance. I don't thing that the aroiders in South
Florida would be against such a thing if it does not not effect the show
in anyway?

   On a completely other note. I think taping into the Thailand and
Indonesian aroiders would be a step forward. I think showing more
interest in their hybrid work would also help bring in more members from
that area. I know many in this group are purist and are not interested
in any hybrids in anyway. Though most aroids being sold on the market
are not species but hybrids. I think not paying attention to this market
or group would be awful. If the society welcomed it and offered to help
out it could pay off in many ways. I am sure many breeders would be
willing to pay a fee to get their plants registered. A simple piece of
paper may help the plant sell, keep records of the cross and who breed
it. It will also help keep it form getting confused with species which
no one wants.  It would also help prevent name changing on hybrids which
we see a lot. I am not sure how the Orchid or gesneriad society
registers and tracks their hybrids it but it would be interesting to ask
and see how their system works and if it could be used with the aroids.
Maybe a simple online registration paper needing certain info on the
plant the parents and photos of the flowers leaf and plant which the
breeder could fill out and send back? These are again just suggestions
that I think may help in the long run and are not intended to step on
peoples toes or hurt fillings. I think growth is good and pushing for it
is great I don't mind helping out with any of this process if I can.
Being a breeder I would love to see the society offer a place for my
hybrids. While I think about it a place for mutations would be great
also LOL.
Aroid-L mailing list