Re: Xanthosoma is X. sagittifolium

  • Subject: Re: Xanthosoma is X. sagittifolium
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:47:26 +0000

>From : 	brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
Sent : 	Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:53 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma is X. sagittifolium

Dear Ted and Leland,

I sincerely thank you for your too-kind words---I do what I can.
If I manage to show or convince just ONE up-and-coming young taxonomist to
think and act "out of the box", I believe I would have accomplished
something good for aroids.
Think for a moment, all I tried (and suceeded in doing!) was to get as
positive an ID as I possibly could of a plant being discussed, as no sexual
mater was available, and who knows when it might become availble.
So you work with what material you have, in this case my experience with the
taste/flavor/texture of the cooked rhizomes of some of the species/cultivars
of Xanthosoma.  The one in question I could easily 'key-out' based on its
color, flavor and texture of its cooked rhizome!
I only wish others would use the tools we have to assist in ID`s, such as
the very different odors of the inflorscences of different species.   There
is what appears to be for me a very complicated odor collection and analysis
system which I have heard and read about, so hopefully before I die some
sort of much simpler/cheaper system may become available and this can be
used by the layman.

Anyhow, thanks again, at LEAST two people ''got it".

Good Growing(and 'bon appitete!)
Julius

>>I second the motion...regarding Julius Boos and I move
that Ted be the moderate center....good writing from
these two.
Aloha,
Leland<<

--- ted.held@us.henkel.com wrote:

Folks,

 >Ah-ha!   I have just sampled the cooked rhizomes,
and they have no sign of  the yellow color OR the nut-like flavor, and so to
  my taste they are X.
sagittifolia.<

Julius has got to be just the best thing on this
list. Has anyone ever  seen such a demonstration of truly scientific
species ID as this? A  tour-de-force. Too bad he can't take a bite of them
all. No need to wait
for an inflorescence.

Ted.>