Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:08:13 +0200
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Ambrosina bassii
From: Victor Soukup
To: Discussion of aroids

Hi---
        Regarding the cold hardiness of Ambrosina bassii, a few years
ago
I received some seed from Fausto Ceni for my study of seed lipids, but
there were enough seeds for me to also plant some.  In their second year
planted them outside under partial summer shade and quite open to the
sky
in winter.  In November one plant bloomed and the leaves on the others
continued to look healthy.  During this time the temperatures dipped to
minus 8 degrees Celsius at times and on two occasions the leaves and the

flower were barely covered with snow.  The next year the plants again
emerged although there were fewer in number.  One bloomed again but the
predations of animals in the area cut the population to one plant the
third
year.  All were gone the following year.
        These data are for Cincinnati, Ohio where we have very
fluctuating
weather and have had a low of minus 23 degrees Fahrenheit (four days)
and
highs of 100 in the last 30 years.  However, Magnolia grandiflora came
through the record cold, albeit with a little damage,  The zone is
listed
as 5 or 6 but most of the time we experience 7 or 8.
        It seems that with a little protection and careful siting, that
Ambrosina could be grown in zone 7.  Typhonium (Sauromatum) venosum
grown
from Cameroon collected seeds grows outdoors here --- for 12 years.  You

must try to find out.

Vic Soukup
Herbarium
University of Cincinnati