Re: Ambrosina bassii

  • Subject: Re: Ambrosina bassii
  • From: Victor Soukup <soukupvg@email.uc.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:08:13 -0400

         Regarding the cold hardiness of Ambrosina bassii, a few years ago
I received some seed from Fausto Ceni for my study of seed lipids, but
there were enough seeds for me to also plant some.  In their second year I
planted them outside under partial summer shade and quite open to the sky
in winter.  In November one plant bloomed and the leaves on the others
continued to look healthy.  During this time the temperatures dipped to
minus 8 degrees Celsius at times and on two occasions the leaves and the
flower were barely covered with snow.  The next year the plants again
emerged although there were fewer in number.  One bloomed again but the
predations of animals in the area cut the population to one plant the third
year.  All were gone the following year.
         These data are for Cincinnati, Ohio where we have very fluctuating
weather and have had a low of minus 23 degrees Fahrenheit (four days) and
highs of 100 in the last 30 years.  However, Magnolia grandiflora came
through the record cold, albeit with a little damage,  The zone is listed
as 5 or 6 but most of the time we experience 7 or 8.
         It seems that with a little protection and careful siting, that
Ambrosina could be grown in zone 7.  Typhonium (Sauromatum) venosum grown
from Cameroon collected seeds grows outdoors here --- for 12 years.  You
must try to find out.

Vic Soukup
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0006
  At 10:51 AM 10/26/2007 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Marc,
>thanks for the specification. So Ambrosina seems at least tolerate
>Zone 7 I will try when I have some more plants.
>I think it grows offsets, dosen't it?

Aroid-L mailing list