Forms of ZZ plant

  • Subject: Forms of ZZ plant
  • From: "Michael Mahan" <agavestar@covad.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:43:37 -0700

I seen a form of ZZ this for sale (cuttings) for over $100+ at the IAS show
in Miami and while  across the room were ZZ's, they were  huge 3 foot potted
plants for $30 . thinking to myself (is there something I don't know here ?)
As I was hugely  $$$$  ripped off many years ago on a plant of this ,the guy
said it was a rare ! new ! cycad !  (similar name )  went home with my new
cycad ,hit the net & was soon back at his door demanding my money back !
which I got ..
Mike

On Behalf Of Adam Black   HE SAID >>>>>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:20 PM

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to respond, but wanted to give a
very belated thank you to all who posted on and off list to my inquiry
several weeks back about whether or not the several forms Zamioculcas
floating around were one or more species. And thanks especially to
Julius for clariflying that they are all simply one species and bringing
up the interesting fact that the "mainstream" form originated from a
spontaneous variation/mutation/freak resulting from the tissue culturing
process. Are there other tissue cultured aroids out there that are
noticably different than their wild counterparts?
Adam Black

Julius Boos wrote:
>'Tropicos" was quoted by Steve as a source which states that there are
three
>species of Zamioculcas.  Tropicos, for some reason, continues to carry some

>outdated and incorrect information on plants, and appears to be in dire
need
>of being updated.  Volunteers???
>The genus East African Zamioculcas, as presently understood, consists of
>just ONE widespread but variable species, Zamioculcas zamifolia (Loddiges)
>Engler.
>This may be confirmed by reading the two most recent works on the genus,
Pg.