Re: Arisaema Fimbriata dry tuber storage?

  • Subject: Re: Arisaema Fimbriata dry tuber storage?
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:27:36 -0500

John, here's what I've done (on the Gulf Coast).

I had terrible luck with fimbriatum, sukotaiense and barnesii in pots along
with all of my other Arisaemas, so what didn't rot got planted in the
ground. Although these are tropical, they are also deciduous and seemed to
follow seasonal changes here.  The summer of 2007 they looked awful in pots
so last fall they went into the ground for the winter in a light, sandy,
composty soil.  At that point, barnesii was gone and I didn't have much to
loose with the other two.  This past spring they sprouted with renewed vigor
and strength, and I'm hoping for flowers next spring.  October turns cooler
especially at night, and it also stops raining and becomes very dry (for
us).  If these tropical Arisaemas are still up, this finishes them off.

So my vote would be winter storage in slightly moist soil.  Since these
plants don't come with many cultural instructions I'll be eager to hear how
others are growing them.

Russell
Mobile, Alabama   zn 8b