Food maker halts jelly production (bad news for konnyaku)

  • Subject: Food maker halts jelly production (bad news for konnyaku)
  • From: Peter Matthews <pjm@gol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:33:46 +0900

Japan Times

(9th October 2008, front page, a national English-language daily):

Food maker halts jelly production

17 children, seniors choked to death on 'konnyaku' since '95.

MannanLife Co., Japan's largest maker of "konnyaku" (devil's tongue)
jelly, said it halted production and shipment of all products
Wednesday....

Article by M. Matsutani and A. Martin

+++++++++++

My thoughts: those jellies were badly-designed, over-packaged,
over-processed mouth-sized, throat-blocking products.

Konnyaku (Amorphophallus paeoniifolius) itself is a great plant, and
the traditional jelly product comes in safe large blocks or as
noodles that can be used in dozens of ways in ordinary Japanese
cooking. We can find it in every supermarket, and although the mannan
has no direct nutritional role (it is indigestible), the jelly (more
like soft rubber) does fill the belly and helps digestion generally.
It is probably the original slimming product.

Peter
--

Peter Matthews (Dr)
Field Sciences Laboratory

Tel. +81 6 6876-2151 (exchange)
Tel. +81 6 6878-8344 (my office, direct)
Fax +81 6 6878-7503

Sites

The Research Cooperative
http://www.cooperative.ning.com