Colocasia gigantea-unusual inflorcense arrangement

  • Subject: Colocasia gigantea-unusual inflorcense arrangement
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:30:34 -0400

 This is common for Gigantea the Thailand strain. The common form I had
grown for years with out ever seeing a hint of a flower. That was until
several years ago when I made it a goal to get it to flower. I put the
plant on a timed watering system and hit it with a lot of fertilizers in
the hopes of it producing a inflorescence. At the end of summer it did
flower and the flowers were much the same as on the Thailand strain but
they were not as developed. One of the oddest things was the fact that
in this situation the plant which commonly suckered for me started
producing runners which I have never seen on a gigantea before. This
form seems much different than the other clone having odd growths under
the leaves never flowering and constantly suckering. They tend to act
much like to separate species but the flower were unmistakable for this
Aroid-L mailing list