Re: Amorphophallus kiusianus fresh ripe seeds germination

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus kiusianus fresh ripe seeds germination
  • From: ALLAN TETZLAFF <atetzlaff@rogers.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

This is one of the easier species as it is one of the few that does not die right away when dried out.  I bought a bunch of seed a couple of years ago and planted them - they had been dried and stored, with the pulp removed.  I just planted them like you would any seed and I got great results - lots of germination....  If I were you, I would try some each way - some right away and some stored perhaps.  Normally, the fresher the better with Amorphophallus, so you might get more by doing them all sooner rather than later.  They do seem quite easy though...  It's later they can be testy.  They don't tend to like hot weather and so can have a shortened cycle and hence not produce a very big bulb, if they're too warm.  I had one flower this summer and it was quite bizzare and lovely - and the fruit surrounding the seed turned an amazing blue colour (after having been a rather shocking pink) as they ripened.  Quite a show.

Cheers from Canada,