Question on Arisaema seedling growth and care

  • Subject: Question on Arisaema seedling growth and care
  • From: Tindomul Er-Murazor <tindomul1of9@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:02:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have these Arisaema seeds that I am trying to grow.  I potted them in a peat, soil mix and placed them under some lights (I dont have a yard or anything).  The lights are a bit stronger than the light you see in forest shade.
So far this season I have gotten two seedlings to germinate since sowing in August.  One looks normal to me, while the other has the triphylum morphology already.
So my question is, why does this seedling look like a second year growth?  Could it be that this is one of my, what I thought to be, failed seedlings from last year that went dormant over the summer?
Or could an Arisaema first year seedling have this morphology?
See attached pics.

Last question,
I was told last year that I was supposed to give these seedlings a cold rest period when dormant.  Is 50 F good enough?  Should I wait until this years growth dies on its own?  Or should I expose them to the cold temps forcibly?  If so, these leaves just came out, how long should I let the plantlets photosynthesize for?
Thank you!!!

Aroid-L mailing list