Re: Strange white mold/spots on amorphophallus tubers

  • Subject: Re: Strange white mold/spots on amorphophallus tubers
  • From: "D. Scott Taylor" <scott.taylor@brevardparks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:23:34 -0400

Mealy bugs: if you store them in dark, damp locales they can be a problem: if a real concern, a little malathion drench will take care of it.

On Sep 30, 2009, at 1:29 PM, David wrote:

Hello fellow aroiders!

Recently, I noticed an odd problem with my amorphophallus tubers - they started growing mold. At first, I thought it was just small specs of perlite and I brushed it off, and put it into storage for their dormant period. I check them once a week, just in case of anything, and I noticed it was back, but much more. I brushed it off, and it was this odd fluff (best way to describe it) and it spread to the other tubers as well. I checked, and the tubers are not soft and seem just fine except this odd fluff-like white mold that is growing on the surface of them. I'm not sure what it is, or how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

I also attached some pictures I took of said "fluff" mold.

Thanks!
<CIMG2488.JPG><CIMG2490.JPG>

D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D.
Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program
91 East Dr.
Melbourne, Florida 32904

tel: 321.255.4466
FAX: 321.255.4499