Re: Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...

  • Subject: Re: Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:05:42 +0000

Dear Dan and fellow aquatic lovers,

Dan, your method sounds as close to perfect as possible!  It incorporates both Enids and my methods of growing these plants!

In reading about the medium in which you pot your aquatics, I`d venture to say that your pots in all actuality COULD be completely submersed if needed, and the ONLY item in your mix which just MIGHT decay would be the peat moss, but this should NOT rot (check it from time to time and report back, please!) and smell like a dead rat, in commercial "Soil" mixes, lots of the material incorporated into them DOES rot, smell BAD and kills the plant!

The reason I keep POUNDING this point (and I so appreciate your input!) is as follows---back when I sold Aquatics at the Fairchild IAS shows, I`d screen the buyers pretty closely and give advice on HOW to grow them, no soil mix BELOW the water line, etc., etc..  Well, the very next year I` be approached by a past-year buyer who might be pretty irate, saying that the expensive plant he purchased had JUST died.  I`d question him/her on if they had done as I instructed, and some BS would come back at me, like--"No, you see we decided to experiment and did so-and-so, which I knew was GUARENTEED to kill the poor, now-irreplacable plant!  I`d then go off on a rant, saying don`t you recall all the things I TOLD you that you could not do???  Why did you NOT, as I strongly suggested, grow the plant to blooming/fruiting size UNDER MY PROVEN-TO-BE-SUCCESFUL methods, THEN collect and grow the seeds to experiment with, and THEN do what YOU might think is a ''better way'' to grow these rare and expensive plants??  I never got a satisfactory reply.  MAN--I still get upset just recalling it!!

I agree with you about re-potting, leave them be as long as possible, but if and when you REALLY need to re-pot (my Urospathas and some Certospermas grew to 6' +!!!), I don`t believe that root breakage is a major concern, as in heated water the plants replace these roots VERY quickly!

Do you know how I might contact Dylan Hannon??

The Very Best to you and ALL friends on aroid-l.

Julius
WPB,  FLORIDA