Re: Lasioids adn others

  • Subject: Re: Lasioids adn others
  • From: david bröderbauer <david_dav44@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:45:19 +0200

Dear Aroiders,

It seems that there are many successful Dracontium-growers in this Forum!! I already have received Dracontium inflorescences of some of you for our research project (evolution of trap pollination) in Vienna.
I still lack inflorescences (I need spathes in alcohol and air dried) of many species, especially some Lasioids, which are difficult to get - anyone has an idea who grows one of them? I'm searching for: Anaphyllum, Anaphyllopsis, Lasia, Lasimorpha, Podolasia and Pycnospatha. I already have several potential sources for Lasia (just hope that somewhere it will flower), but the others are difficult to get. I'm in contact with the European 'sources' (Munich, Lyon, Nancy,...) but they do not have all...

I'm also looking for some Spathicarpeae: Asterostigma, Gearum, Gorgonidium and Mangonia, as well as Areae: Eminium, Theriophonum, (Lazarum - everybody would like to have that...).

I'm studying the surface structures of the inner side of the spathe (gliding surfaces) so it's important not to touch the inside, in order to avoid damage. One spathe in alcohol and one just air-dried would be great (if there is only one: cut in two pieces from the base to the tip, half in alcohol and half air-dried). The spadix is not especially important, but it would be good to leave it on the sample in alcohol. As some of the plants have quite huge inflorescences it is also suitable to cut the spathe in two parts horizontally, if there is no suitable vessel to put in as one.
We have funds so we can pay for the postal fees. When the spathe has been stored in alcohol for some time before sending (at least one week), it is also no problem to reduce most of the alcohol before transport, then the packet is not that heavy.

So maybe one of you can help me or knows a source?! Our project still lasts for a little bit more than a year...Thank you very much in advance!

Yours,
David

P.S.: Here is a link to our homepage:
http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/sfb/index.php?nav=8c&lang=en