Re: Dracontium polyphyllum

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium polyphyllum
  • From: George Yao <geoyao@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:30:19 +0800

My D. prancei produced only one ear as shown in these two attached photos.

George Yao

On 10/18/10, at 7:49 PM, plantguy@zoominternet.net wrote:

Hi Greg,

The first time I saw these "ears" was on a pic from Michael Pascall from OZ, which is where the specimens on ebay originate. I was told that as the plant matures these formations will show up. Mine bloomed with a standard spathe form this past spring so I hope that since they have grown a large amount since then when they show these "ears" the next time they bloom. I wondered if these would act like the windows on a house.....open them on two sides and you get at a cross breeze.....could this be used to allow the dispersal of the chemicals used to attract the pollinators? Whatever the
reason, they are unique and I hope mine produce them the next time.

Joep,  Have you ever seen these on the specimens around your place in
Guyana? Has anyone else seen them or is it a function of the specimens
from down under?

Good growing,

Gibsonia, PA