Re: Limestone Substrates

Ah, good. I was afraid that I was off here in the ozone all by myself.

There are definitely chemical issues here, as well as ones of
extremely localized "pockets" of organic debris that may be insulated
from surrounding karst (a type of calcium carbonate rock). In acidic
environments, iron is more readily available. But so is soluble
aluminum, which can be a toxin at those pHs. On the alkaline side,
other nutrients become more available, while iron becomes limiting.
The subject is complex to say the least.

My interest lies in presenting a possible alternative for plants that
are reluctant to grow despite seemingly perfect aroid growing
practices. I have plants like this. On one level I have plants that I
just have no luck with. Others grow fine, but will not flower despite
my best efforts. I was hoping that something as simple as the addition
of agricultural lime or dolomite (a calcium and magnesium carbonate
double salt) would work. It looks like it's worth a try. Certainly
agricultural liming has been proven successful for certain soils for a
thousand years. Why not for aroids?

Ted Held.