Re: Small Aroids

>Dewey:  This is an unpublished name and I will get back to the list
about the correct spelling (I have to consult the rules) but I just
wanted to say that this plant which I am sure that you have seen at
Selby has dramatically changed in the past year.  For years it was
dwarfed (Donna Atwood thinks it was due to an overdose of something) but
when I saw it recently it was many times larger, with leaf blades to ca
25 cm long.  I am sure glad I was patient on this new species!
	By the way if we really want to talk about small aroids we do
have to consider Lemna.  While currently in the Lemnaceae molecular work
has shown that group to be practically inseparable from Pistia and the
Kew group will be proposing it to be subsumed within the Aroideae as a
close relative of Pistia.

> Her's a couple more very small aroids...  Anthurium bessei can be seen at:
> <> and Caladium
> humboldtii var. Marcel..  This is one of the prettiest..  and it only gets
> about an inch or two high!!!!
> Dewey
> Dewey E. Fisk, Plant Nut
> Your Source for Tropical Araceae

Thomas B. Croat, Ph.D.
P.A. Schulz Curator of Botany
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299
phone: 314-577-5163; fax 314-577-9596; email