Elephant Ears

I garden in zone 6, southern Missouri. For years I have grown the elephant
ears but never have dug them up and tried to save them over the winter.
This year I decided to try it. I dug them up but there was no bulb. There
were a lot of roots all around the base of the plant but when I planted
them, I planted a round hard bulb. What do I try to save? Where did the
bulb go? Do I need to repot them and bring them in or just put them in
sawdust like they are? I would appreciate any help you could give me on
this subject.
My e-mail address is:  backhoe@scan.missouri.org
My name is Jean Carpenter.  Thank you in advance if you can be of help.