Re: "Symplocarpus nipponicus"

Dear Jim,

    I think that Symplocarpus renifolius Schott ex Miq. is distinct from
S.  foetidus (L.) Salisb. I must to confess that I never saw a living
Symplocarpus in my whole life, but I saw a drawing of S. renifolius in an
article (Am. J.  Bot. 80(6):635-640 - 1993) and it seem somewhat different
compared to S.  foetidus. The spathe in S. renifolius didn't seem forming
an apical hook like it usually is formed in the American populations. It
would be a good idea to take a look at the "bible" (The Genera of Araceae) to
check how many species are listed for the genus. I could do it by myself,
but I still don't have the book.

Best wishes,

Eduardo.