Re: Anthurium plowmanii flowers

Al Wootten wrote:

> Of the plants I have grown from seed Dewey distributed perhaps two
> years ago, I have my first flower.  I'll try to take a photo and
> post it to the WWW.  It has a faint but pleasant scent.  Can the
> flower be self-pollinated?  Any advice on technique woulr be very
> welcome.

I tried to pollinate the one that bloomed for me in the spring (shown in
http://u1.netgate.net/~kk/Araceae/Anthurium/plowmanii.html), but without
success. I wasn't even sure where this beast had female flowers - as can
be seen in the photo, the pollen was produced on the lower portion of
the spadix. Just in case, I smeared it all over the other one, but
nothing took.

Come to think of it - would it be by any chance one of those plants that
change sex with maturity?

Krzysztof Kozminski
http://u1.netgate.net/~kk/
kk@netgate.net
"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
 pound in the correct screw."