Re: Anthurium plowmanii flowers

Al Wootten wrote:

> Of the plants I have grown from seed Dewey distributed perhaps two
> years ago, I have my first flower.  I'll try to take a photo and
> post it to the WWW.  It has a faint but pleasant scent.  Can the
> flower be self-pollinated?  Any advice on technique woulr be very
> welcome.

I tried to pollinate the one that bloomed for me in the spring (shown in, but without
success. I wasn't even sure where this beast had female flowers - as can
be seen in the photo, the pollen was produced on the lower portion of
the spadix. Just in case, I smeared it all over the other one, but
nothing took.

Come to think of it - would it be by any chance one of those plants that
change sex with maturity?

Krzysztof Kozminski
"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
 pound in the correct screw."