Subject: typhonium
Author:  <aroid-l@mobot.org> at mailgate
Date:    10/19/98 10:28 AM

Aroiders:

        Several years ago, I got two bulbs from Jim Waddick, Typhonium
divaricatum
and T. giganteum.  Both have flowered regularly, and upon further research,
the RHS lists T. blumei as a synonym.  Also, the Japanese picture aroid book
that many of us purchased has a photo of T. blumei, which is the same plant.
  Jim tells me that he originally identified it from a photo in
Iconographia. It looks like it's pretty reliably hardy here in zone 7

        As for T. giganteum, Jim tells me that several folks have instead called
it T. giraldii.  RHS uses T. giganteum v. giraldii. This one has been
reliable in zone 7 also, and I think Jim also indicated it was reliable in
zone 6.

        Any help to clear these taxonomic issues would be most
appreciated....Wilbert, et al.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden