Re: Pistia stratiotes infloresence

Interesting experiment, Clarence. Its amazing what a difference in
climate will do for these little plants. 10 months ago I picked up two or
three of them from a friend and tossed them in my little pond, about 400
square feet of surface area. Within six months they had multiplied to the
point that only 10% of the water could be seen. The rate of reproduction
was amazing.

Its no wonder that Pistia is among those water dwellers that Florida law
prohibits moving. They are well known for choking the waterways here.
All but three or four of the several hundred I removed from the pond found
their way to the mulch pile where they detiorated nicely. But another
harvest is coming. Tonight I counted at least 50 growing.

Don