Re: new photos of interesting aroid on ID page

-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 1999 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: new photos of interesting aroid on ID page

Dear Les,
The guy that had the plant photos said that he wanted to hold on to the
plants and see how he could get something out of them, I wished him well,
for, like Pandora`s box, once he opens the gate, this plant will be a weed.
I understand that the USDA is in the process of or already has declared
Colocasia sps. a weed/undesirable plant, no importing, etc., both (I
suspect) as a protection for the local growers of Eddoes and Dasheen in the
South AND to try to control the spread of the stolon-types of Colocasia
rampant at least here in S. Florida as a terrible weed on lake banks, canals
and in wet fields.

>>Well it seems that my suspicions were right about it being a Colocasia.
It's good news that it spreads wildly but bad news for us in the north who
would hope to have it spend a winter in a paper bag.  Oh well, this will
probably be one stoloniferous plant I'd be willing to give some space

So the next question is...  how long before we civilians can get one?