Re: Alocasia reversa, villanovii

>i'm having lots of trouble growing reversa.  it seems to lose leaves as
>quickly as it grows new ones.  right now, it's down to one leaf.  is this
>species particularly hard to grow?
>on the other hand, villanovii is quite beautiful...  and it doesn't seem so
>difficult...

tsuh yang chen,

	Very interesting, since my experience is the opposite.  I suspect
from your selections that yours were received from Tropiflora.  I acquired
my A. reversa from Dewey, and it has done quite well, stretched a bit but
stayed pretty compact, in one of my larger terraria.  A. villanovii, on the
other hand, in the same terrarium, never seemed to take hold and slowly
declined -- it is now history.  Assuming that yours are not bound by the
ample moisture of a terrarium, this could be the explanation - A. reversa
likes/needs that, while A. vaillanovii definitely does not?  Just an
offering from my own experience.

Jonathan

Jonathan Ertelt
Greenhouse Manager
Vanderbilt University Biology Department
Box 1812, Sta. B
Nashville, TN  37235