Re: Arisaema ringens 'Puto' How deep to plant bulb? & beneficial

In a message dated 10/30/1999 1:53:09 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
jbauer@concordnc.com writes:

<< How deep should I plant Arisaema ringens 'Puto' bulbs? 'The American
 Horticultural Society Enclyclopedia of Garden Plants' 1990 suggests 6
 inches deep. It has never bloomed since I purchased it in 1993. I
 believe that I had them planted too deep plus in too much shade. >>

Judy,

4 to 6 inches should be OK.  I note you are in Zone 7, so 4 inches should be
sufficient.  Here  in Zone 5b, I often plant as deep as 6 inches.

"Too much shade" --- especially in Zone 7, if you want to enjoy these
beautiful leaves (after blooming) all summer, how could there be such a ting
as too much shade.  My Arisaema are all planted on the edges (more or less)
of a beech and balsam forest.  They get about 4 hours of dappled sun (i.e.,
very little), and do very well.

If you a really interested in Arisaema, you'll find lots more info on
ARISAEMA-L, which focuses more on hardy aroids.

Jeanne Hannah
Zone 5b