RE: A. bulbifer question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: RE: A. bulbifer question
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:11:02 -0500 (CDT)

Carol Ann Bonner writes:
 > Actually, I also have an A. bulbifer question.  I am not exactly what one
 > would call an "aroidiphile", but I have a few aroids, A. bulbifer among
 > them.  This is my first season with this plant, and, true to its name, it
 > made a little bulbil at the center of its leaf.  Do I plant this thing?  If
 > so, do I carve away all of the attached leaf?  When do I know when to stop
 > carving?  If it's too young this year, will the bulbil next year be viable?
With mine, as the plant begins to die down, I just snap it off and plant it.

My young bulbifers, bulbils year before last, have just died back.  They
have not produced bulbils themselves.  My older bigger bulbifers are just
now emerging.  If I extrapolate backward in time, I figure that they must
have begun emerging from their corms at just about the time Wilbert so
agreeably ordered them to arise.

Still no sign of konjac, though...

Clear skies,
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock|
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)           |
|genealogy homepage  http://members.tripod.com/~astral    |
|Deltaville, Virginia              (804)776-6369          |